CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Rachel



“What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” This quote by Percales describes the influence my sister Rachel has had on my life. My sister Rachel is 24 and hasn’t really changed my life but has helped form my outlook on life and I hope to instill what she has taught me into other peoples’ lives as I grow older.

Rachel has a precious smile that can illuminate any room and melt the hearts of anyone present. Rachel loves music and is always happy when music is playing. Another thing she loves is ‘Wheel of Fortune’; whenever she hears the music start she will run from anywhere in the house and plop on “her” spot on the couch. Rachel is shorter than the average 24 year old, with beautiful dark hair and dark eyes. She wears typical clothes for someone her age, but her tummy always seems to be sticking out of the bottom of her shirts. If you ever catch Rachel after 8:00 PM, she will be seen in her one piece light purple frog “footy” pajamas… on backwards. Why are they on backwards you might ask? So she can’t unzip them! My sister Rachel is severely handicapped and unzipping her clothes is a skill she has mastered!

I am 11 years younger than Rachel, and I have never known a life without her. When I came home from the hospital my family had to protect me from her, not because she was mean, but because she was curious and tried to pat me just a little too hard. She would always poke her fingers up my nose and into my eyes, and occasionally gave me those big sloppy open mouthed kisses. I have never been able to have a conversation with Rachel or do those things you do with sisters. Even so, she is still just as special to me as my other siblings; maybe a little more because of how she has influenced my life.

The life lessons I have learned from my sister are many. Among them are compassion, patience, acceptance, gratitude, and the need to have a good sense of humor!
I have learned to find excitement and joy in even the smallest accomplishments she has.
Because of Rachel I can look around at the rest of the world and realize the value of differences. I don’t run away from people who are different, I try to talk to them, help them and try to make them feel as though I am their friend. Rachel has taught me to be grateful for what I have; my hands work, I can run and play, I can make decisions for myself. All these things I have learned from my sister who has never said a word.

Rachel inspires people; everyone who knows her loves her. My older sister is helping me be a better person and I will be a better Dad and teacher some day because of what she has taught me. I have learned you don’t have to be “normal” to be great. You don’t have to be “smart” to teach people. You don’t have to be “powerful” to have influence over people. For me, to have her smile and throw her arm around my neck and give me sloppy kisses helps me to love her more. When you love someone you learn from them. That’s how Rachel has influenced my life. I hope that I someday I can teach others just some of the many things I have learned from Rachie. I guess Rachel is like a weaver, she has added dimension and color to my life and I am really happy about it.

8 comments:

Lauren said...

JEFF! this is so sweet.
honestly one of the sweetest things i have ever read, i just wanted to cry, in the best way possible. we are so lucky to have rachel as our sister!!

Kim Walus said...

WOW! You have a deep understanding of things precious and wonderful. What a gift you have for writing and describing your feelings. Thanks for your deep and reflective thoughts. Rachel isn't the only inspiration. You TOO are an inspiration!

By the way, when did you grow up? I remember that cute little blue eyed boy that I adored. I think of you often especially now that I have a blue eyed little blonde grandson that reminds me of you. Thanks, Jeff for your sweet example!

Jeff said...

Yeah I know Lauren, we are soooo lucky!

I wish my hair was as blonde as it used to be, haha. I have no idea when I grew up! (have I?)

BTW: I still say "please bless Kim in Utah" in my prayers!

Erin said...

What a sweet post, Jeff! It made me all teary. I loved the part where you said "everyone who knows her, loves her". This is so true. She has an amazing ability to see people (quite literally, by wrapping her arm around your neck and bringing you close) and let people love her. What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful person.

I'm grateful to know all the Groseclose family!

Lauren in GA said...

That was so beautifully written. You have wonderful insight and are a gifted writer.

Hazen5 said...

Jeffey, that was beautiful (sniff, sniff)!!! I think Rachel has the best name to add to her great list of qualities! You're the best brother.

Celia Fae said...

Jeff. That was awesome. I hope you can print it out and get credit for it at school.

Lisa-Marie said...

Jeff,

You are very wise for your age. You are very wise for ANY age, for that matter. That was beautiful.

Keep up the blog BTW, you are a very talented writer.